Sunday, August 3, 2008

Trip 3 -- Heading North

I guess I lied when I said I wasn't going to ride today. I came back to Grand Forks earlier than planned, and figured instead of sitting around I may as well take a trip. I felt like heading north today and trying to find a bike path that I knew of. It took a little bit, as you can see in my Google Map I was kinda all over the place when I got to campus. I did find it eventually, and it's pretty nice. I'm going to have scope out all of the bike paths in the GF/EGF area eventually.

Alright, on to the trip.
I've noticed there are a lot of businesses like this in Grand Forks. Businesses that make you wonder how they're not closed down, as well as businesses that you aren't quite sure what the hell they do. Finest Auto Trim? Firstly, it might be kind of brave to claim they're the "finest" of all auto trims... I've never even heard of them until today. Just another one of those businesses you drive by and don't think twice about. I'm not even sure what auto trim is.



Not far from Finest Auto Trim, I find Unique Auto Body also setting up shop along Gateway. How many auto body places are there in this town? I don't know what makes this one so "unique" from the million other auto body places around here...unless it's the porcelain bear outside of it. In that case, it's probably the most unique auto body in town. Also, that bear is very small.



These are the stairs to get up to the Columbia-overpass-bike-tunnel-of-doom-thing.


A view looking south on Columbia from the top of the stairs.


A view of the tunnel ( is tunnel the right word? cage?) from the inside. I had to wait until a girl jogged by, I didn't want to creep her out too much. I sure love looking like a tourist taking pictures of a bunch of random stuff...but I do it for you, people. Also, it's kinda scary how close you are to oncoming traffic, even though you're in the cage.


It took me a while to find this bike path, but once I did it was like I wasn't even in Grand Forks anymore. I was pretty sure I found an undiscovered part of the city and I was gonna claim it for myself but then someone just had to build a house right here.




Damn, they must've known I was coming too.


HAH! There we go...claiming some land in the name of JP. I think I'll build a tiny Wal-Mart there...or something.



That's all I got for now, tomorrow I have a dentist appointment first thing in the morning..so that's probably gonna ruin my day. Wish me luck.

Trip: Approx. 8 miles, Temp: 79 degrees ...maybe I should start keeping track of time too?



View Larger Map

2 comments:

Anthony Strand said...

Time-tracking sounds like a nice addition.

Also, if you do decide to open a Wal-Mart there, you better have Cheez-Its at a reasonable price.

Also, "...but I do it for you, people"

Don't think we don't appreciate it.

JP said...

who's the "we" in that statement?

/arrested development reference