Monday, August 18, 2008

Trip 12 -- When Falcons Attack

I didn't expect much to be going on tonight when I took a short ride to the Greenway, and not much really did happen until I got about half mile south on the path. I heard a unique bird call while riding, and it sounded close so I wanted to investigate. It took off and started flying around rather aggressively, like it was protecting its nest. I got a good look at it and it looked too small to be a hawk, but it definitely was something similar to a hawk, like a falcon. Anyways, while I was standing there trying to take pictures, someone rode past and another bird showed up and dove at him, I thought the guy was gonna lose control, but he didn't. I breathed a pretty big sigh of relief...but then i realized I was the only person there, so I didn't want to be the next target...I took a couple pictures real quick and got the hell out of there.

So I leave it up to you bird experts, is it a falcon?






This basketball hoop's seen better days. Pretty lame of someone to break it like that...I also saw what looked like graffiti on the Greenway today...let's hope that trend stops ASAP.


First time I've rode at dusk...looks great until you ride on the streets and can't see anything.


Rydell looks really cool at night, I figured I'd snap a quick pic of it.




The Twins series was great, we saw them sweep the Mariners...unfortunately I just watched them lose on TV tonight, so that's no good.

Anyways, I guess today's lesson is to respect wildlife. They were here first, and some falcons just reminded me and a few cyclists of that today.

Thanks for reading!

Start: 8:15
End: 9:12
Temp: 70 degrees
Trip: 7.75 mi



View Larger Map

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooper or Sharp-Shinned Hawks.

I know there is a set of Coopers that hang around campus. The eat other birds.

You can check them out at:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

Anonymous said...

Have you come across the big fat flying turkeys yet? We had a couple living in the alley behind our house.

Those hawks you saw look pretty creepy. Looks like they'd poke an eye out if they could.

JP said...

wow, bubble head comes through in the clutch again...thanks a lot!