Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Trip 10 -- Cherry

Today is, for the most part, about Cherry St. I decided to take Cherry all the way south again, but I explored some of the townhome neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods were a nightmare when I worked as delivery for a local restaurant. There are so many winding roads, and the signs aren't very helpful, but the homes do look nice.


It was a very nice day out today, no clouds to be seen.




You guys have been good about answering my previous questions, so I'll throw another one out there. What exactly is this large dish for? It's outside a Seventh Day Adventist church, and I have no idea what they would need a dish this big for.



Look at this sign from a delivery driver's perspective. Yeah, not fun at all.


Not sure what they're doing here, extending the road maybe?



Another picture of a really nice house added to my collection.



Today I learned there is no shortage of places to live on Cherry. Seems like every other block there was a huge townhouse neighborhood.

Thanks for reading!


Start: 5:15
End: 6:04
Temp: 82 degrees
Trip: 6.2 mi


View Larger Map

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That big satellite dish is what people used before DirecTV and DishNetwork came along.

You used to be able to pick up channels directly from the broadcasters satellites (usually rented channels), but I think most of those are scrambled these days.

DirecTV/DishNetwork is so much easier...

JP said...

Ah wow, that makes me feel so...young. I never knew that TV satellite dishes were that big, I just figured they were always a smaller size. I never really knew what the large satellite dishes in people's yards were for.

Thanks gjb

Anonymous said...

In the 80s we used to joke that we could talk to the aliens on Mars through our television signals...and if you aimed the "dish" in the right direction you could listen to your neighbor talking on the phone.

those mondo sized lawn ornaments were a major pain. the signals were always getting scrambled so you had to have a descrambling device to get normal tv...forget the 500+ channels that we enjoy today. Thank You MidContinent!

Unknown said...

Hi ,
Your work on the blog is fantastic. I’m influenced in a positive way.

Specifically, I got some nice information in this page http://touringgrandforks.blogspot.com/2008/08/trip-10-cherry.html

If you are interested, I would like to exchange links by placing a content link in your website. Don’t you think it would be nice for both our sites?

I’m waiting for your response.
Regards,
David
Email: davidwilsen@gmail.com