Friday, August 8, 2008

Trip 8 -- Heading East

Today I decided to explore that mysterious land known as East Grand Forks. This was not without hardships, however. I definitely got lost on the path a few times. At one point, the path just ended and I'm pretty sure I was on some kind of construction site. I really should print out a map of the Greenway path. I think the city should do a better job of keeping travelers of the path informed though. Some more informative signs wouldn't hurt.


Traveling some of the paths in East Grand was pretty lonely. I only saw 2 other people the whole time I was lost...I saw more when I finally made my way north. There was a point when I was in a pretty heavily wooded area and it was dead quiet. I was pretty sure a wolf was gonna jump out at me. Don't worry, there were no wolves, just TONS of grasshoppers.


I went off the path a few times onto some pretty rough terrain, but hey that's what a mountain bike's for right? Speaking of which, I hope mine holds up. Sometimes, the chain sticks and clicks...kinda makes me nervous. But so far, so good.


On to the trip:


I took the usual route to the Greenway, and didn't snap any pictures until I crossed the river. As you can see in the first picture, it was another cloudy day. There were a few sprinkles, but nothing nearly as bad as it was the last time I rode in 'cloudy' weather. Right when I got into EGF I was already presented with a choice, there were numerous forks in these paths..and it just became frustrating after a while.




I guess I'm on a frisbee golf course now. I just keep following the path, assuming it's taking me north.




Where's the river? Where am I? It was around this point where I was thinking about the wolves.




This looks strikingly similar to the path on the other side of the river...I'm almost positive I've taken this same picture earlier this week in Grand Forks.





For all you bench connoisseurs, this one has a great view of the Red Lake River, and of the large tree planted right in front of it.



Yikes, I don't think it's necessary to keep the black tube around this tree. Looks pretty dead to me.


Uhh... I can only assume this is a city vehicle. I heard an engine behind me and was pretty surprised to see a pickup behind me going the other direction. I have no idea where it came from.




Oh you've got to be kidding me. I've already been up and down paths trying to find the right direction, and just when I think I've made progress I see this thing.




90% of Hummer owners will probably never take theirs off road, although that's what they're built for. Well, I don't know what the made-up statistic is for mountain bike owners, but I'm definitely taking it off the path at this point.




WHERE AM I?!



I rode through the empty construction area and popped up on James Ave. SE. I was just relieved to see any kind of road. I followed back to the path and eventually navigated my way north...finally on the right path!




So I go under that sketchy railroad bridge and see this. Why it's there, I have no idea.




A view of the flood marker from Minnesota. Imagine that water at the top of the monument....yeah.




Hey look at that, I get into Minnesota and immediately see trees. Who woulda thunk?




A Minnesota view of the dam I never knew existed.




Good ol' pedestrian bridge...I finally found you.




I was done taking pictures at this point and just wanted to get home...definitely felt the burn during this trip, and that's a good thing. I was pretty exhausted when I got back.

Well, I will definitely be back to explore more of East Grand Forks' winding paths, and even venture into the actual city to take some pictures. I might need a light day tomorrow after today's trip.

Thanks for reading!

Start: 12:30
End: 3:00
Temp: 72
Trip: 18.1 mi




View Larger Map

4 comments:

Matt BK said...

That fence under the railroad bridge is probably to keep you safe from anything that might fall out of (or off) a train passing through.

You're lucky you only had to go a little offroad. When I got here in 2006, there was barely any paved path on the GF side of the river, and only a teeny bit on the EGF side!

By the way, if you are having problems with your chain (or anything else), I'm sure I can find someone to look at it.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately that off-road area where you were driving is home to the future path, which will connect to 19th Avenue SE in EGF, which goes all of the way to South Pointe Elementary School. In addition, there will be a bike path from there all along Bygland Road to the fire station out on the Point. The bike path that is not completed is due to reconstruction of the levy after it washed away last year or two years ago. They don't want to put the bike path back in until they know the levy isn't going anywhere, so it probably won't be finished until the end of September.

Anthony Strand said...

That, my man, was a genuinely thrilling narrative. I was actually concerned for your safety.

JP said...

Matthew: Yeah, I guess I do have it easier than I think sometimes compared to what it was like here a few years ago! And I just might take you up on that offer if something goes wrong, thanks.