Saturday, August 2, 2008

Trip 2

Today was a shorter trip because I had to do it before I saw Dark Knight at River Cinema with my roommate. That would be the third time I've seen it now, so needless to say I really enjoy that movie. Go see it now if you already haven't...see it a lot.

One thing I've really noticed in this past week is how friendly other bicyclists and walkers/joggers are. Nearly every person gave a smile and a nod to me as I rode by. I usually like to rip on people who think Grand Forks and North Dakota in general are full of nothing but nice people, and people that can do no wrong...but times like that change my mind. I guess all the rude people aren't big exercisers.

Anyways, it didn't take long for me to find my first photo opportunity. I'm not sure what's going on here, or how the glove is even stuck on ... whatever the hell that green thing is, but I'll just leave it to your imagination to figure it out.




I found this strange little shed in the parking lot of an elementary school. I have no idea what they would want to keep in there, but if it's empty I decided that this would make a good place to live if I'm homeless...I might able to move it somewhere else. Yeah, I think i would prefer this to the tunnel under Washington. I'll keep looking for more potential homeless spots.



Noble Tree Service and Geek Squad...together at last.



As I was riding by this house, I noticed a large metal tower in the yard... at first I was wondering if it was some kind of antenna, then I thought it might be a lightning rod...now I'm convinced it's an extraterrestrial communication device and aliens disguised as humans are actually living in that house.



This pavilion is on Belmont near the river, I just thought it looked nice. This would not make a good homeless place to live. Not pictured is a ton of empty chairs facing the pavilion. Apparently I was a little early for the show.

I took this picture of some fishermen from the bike path bridge near Lincoln Park. These guys are participating in this weekend's Catfish Days celebration. I'm all for celebrations...but catfish? No thanks. Anything that comes out of the Red River can stay in the Red River.


Can someone explain to me exactly what these things are? I see them everywhere, protruding from sidewalks. There's some that stick out so high I'm convinced that I'm gonna wipe out after hitting them. Looks like it's working wonders for the sidewalk too.


Alright, that's it for today. I might not post tomorrow because I'll be in Hatton...but who knows. Thanks to all 3 of you for reading.


Trip: About 5 miles; Temperature: 71 degrees


View Larger Map

7 comments:

Anthony Strand said...

Dude, you should do a Hatton bike ride and post sometime.

JP said...

haha I think I will, although it might just have to be a walk since that bike is hard to bring anywhere unless I'm riding it.

Maybe you could make a special guest appearance.

Anonymous said...

Those things sticking out of the sidewalks are part of the water service to people's homes. It allows the city to turn water on and off at the from outside each home.

Anonymous said...

And that's a ham radio tower (most likely, can't really see it all that clearly.) My Dad used to have one on top of our house, pretty embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Yup, that pipe sticking up is a water shutoff valve. The valve is built to move up and down. If you hit it with a hammer it should go down, unless it is rusted solid or is all the way down. Sometimes they will stick up a foot. I wish the city would take care of them. One more thing to lookout for on the bike trails and sidewalks.

JP said...

Wow this is great, I'm actually getting my questions answered...thanks guys! Yeah I suppose ham radio tower makes a little more sense than my alien theory.

As for those water shutoff valves...I almost took a picture of one today that had to of been sticking out over a foot. Definitely a hazard for cyclists.

Anonymous said...

Hey JP,
The pavilion is the Gazebo at the Myra Museum and Campbell House. These are located on the Grand Forks County Historical Society's property along with many other buidlings unique to 'old time' Grand Forks.
The Gazebo plays host to many wedding ceremonies and a few Ice Cream Socials during the summer. Check one out sometime!