Saturday, March 21, 2009

Trip 20 -- Thawing Out; Flood Update

I was hesitant to call this my first trip of the year since I didn't go very far and I pretty much just wanted to get a look at the Red River from the Greenway. It just feels nice to get back out there. I didn't even use my bike, it's about time for it to be retired, so I'll be purchasing a new one very soon (any suggestions?)


The National Weather Service in Grand Forks is forecasting a significant storm in our area starting tomorrow and lasting into next week. This storm could bring with it around 2 inches of rain as well as a wide variety of other possibilities such as thunderstorms, freezing rain, and yes...snow. This is extremely unfortunate for our area as it will only worsen our flood situation. It's strange how all of these things seem to be falling into place to make this flood more intense.

Yesterday, I snapped a few pictures from my cell phone on the East Grand Forks side of the Red River by DeMers. I apologize for the quality, but you can see where the river stands now and it will be a good point of reference for when it starts rising. Like I said before, I plan to keep you updated with pictures of the river as it rises to various levels so check back often.




So today I took a brief stroll on the Greenway near the 47th Ave. S. access point.. or maybe it was 49th? Well, you get the idea. South.


It's kind of depressing to look at everything and see how brown and dead it is...on a cloudy day no less. This is a far cry from how great the Greenway looked in the summer. Soon enough we'll see green again.







The Mighty Red will rise again soon unfortunately...



Ah, my favorite piece of random playground equipment:



Not sure if this is flood preparation or if they just don't want anyone using this access point.



Just thought this was cool looking, whatever kind of plant it is. Are those clovers? Sorry, I'm definitely not a botanist.


That's all I have for today, check back often for more flood updates!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sun Bicycles makes the most affordable recumbent I know about. Not high end, but I have no complaints with mine.

http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

eco hotels said...

Hi friend amazing blog about "Trip 20 -- Thawing Out; Flood Update", is very creative and very professional information I like to learn more about the subject further, I am collecting new information to add to your blog