Thursday, October 9, 2008

Trip 19 -- Fall!

Firstly, I'll spare you all any excuses for not updating in a long time...school, work, blah blah blah. I know you don't want to hear it. Updates will be more scarce as I said, but I'm going to really try to step it up before we start seeing that four-letter-word start falling from the sky. I really wanted to get out there today because the forecast for the weekend doesn't look too forgiving:



Today was a really nice day outside, except a little too windy and chilly maybe. Fall is great, the turning leaves and lack of bugs...but then you just know winter is coming real soon. Too soon.



I hate mushrooms, they're disgusting and I really don't understand how people can eat them. I'd rather put cardboard on my pizza than any kind of fungus.



No, this isn't my helmet and no I didn't steal it...but some poor girl named Amelia is probably missing her Bratz helmet. Hopefully it finds its way back to her. It looks like it has some battle scars too.




Thanks for reading, and try to not get too depressed during the upcoming monsoon. I've been meaning to get pictures of my bike up here, so I'll do that soon. I'll also need some suggestions for a new mountain bike for next year if anyone wants to throw me some.

Temp: 55

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on that portion of the trail where you found the "Amelia" helmet last week. Still there I see.

Given the battle damage, I think she needs it.

On a related topic, ever since ND dropped its requirement that cyclists (motor, esp.) be helmeted, I've noted that very few seem to wear them anymore. I found that surprising. It is their choice, and I think that's how it ought to be, but folks in such a mind ought to consider that my descendants now enjoy a greater chance of surviving into the far future than your own!

I was out on the trails/sidewalks two nights ago when the wind was ongodly. Too strong to try and bike, so I walked instead. I must have cut a strange figure, as halfway through my walk, a GFPD squadie hailed me from the curb to ask if I was alright! We chatted briefly and then he continued his patrol. Actually, it's nice to see them out there given JP's tale of that past incident on the Columbia overpass.

I expect to be on these same parts of the trails as appeared in this post when we next get some evenings with clear skies to try my hand at some twilight photography.

I'll have a red Krill lightstick on to alert any nighttime riders.

Stay safe, soon we'll be able to think about donning the x-country skis!

Matt BK said...

JP, glad to see you're still getting some riding in. It's been horrible the last few weeks because I've been working on a talk I just presented and haven't been able to ride anywhere except to and from UND.

Andrew, I agree about the helmet thing. I don't think it needs to be a law, because as it was shown in Australia (sorry I don't have a source right now), the national helmet law led to a reduction in the number of cyclists, which we all know is a bad thing.

The best thing we can do is get more people out on the streets, because the more visible we are, the more people get used to us, and hopefully the less we have to worry about having to use our brain buckets.

M said...

All this talk about safety and helmets reminds me of a past event:
I was walking down University one day and noticed that a girl was talking on her cell phone... while riding a bike (that was the strange part, not the talking on a cell phone part). She was not wearing a helmet. Instead, she was wearing an oblong duffle bag that would throw the average person off balance. Anyhow, I thought, "...hope she doesn't fall..." About 2 seconds later she fell and sort of slid into the middle of the road. There was a motorcycle driver behind her (lucky for her not a bus or speeding truck). The motorcycle driver stopped and made sure she was okay...she was but it was a close call (the accident, not the cell phone call). Since then, I have noticed quite a few people riding bikes and talking on cells. How very "unsafe".

JP said...

That's pretty ridiculous, M, I couldn't imagine talking on my phone and riding at the same time... I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. I always keep my phone in my bag and stop if I have to use it...it's just too much of a hazard otherwise. It sounds like she was really lucky to not have gotten seriously hurt that day.