Monday, September 8, 2008

Yeah I Know

I know this blog has been dead as of late...but I do have a legitimate excuse. I promise. I am just getting over a nasty cold that plagued me the entire weekend..and with two tests scheduled this week, on top of my already terrible time management skills--that all adds up to a dead blog.

But I'm not giving up, I promise I will pick up the pace.

Also, I wanted to mention this story in the Herald.

A bicyclist was treated for minor injuries at Altru Hospital after being assaulted and robbed late Saturday night on the Columbia Road overpass in Grand Forks.

Benedict Smith, 37, Grand Forks, told police he was riding north on the overpass at about 10 p.m. when three male subjects confronted him and demanded his wallet, according to the Grand Forks Police Department. When Smith refused, they threw him off his bike, punched and kicked him and stole the backpack he was wearing.

The backpack is blue and black and contained Smith’s prescription medication, a TRAC phone, clothing and other miscellaneous items, according to police.

Smith was only able to describe one of the suspects, a tall Hispanic man wearing a dark shirt. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Police Department at (701) 787-8000.


I was pretty upset to read that this morning, it's a shame when stuff like this happens. But it is a reminder that Grand Forks isn't the safe little haven in friendly North Dakota that most like to believe. The crime is definitely here. Be careful, people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh crap! That is a foul deal there. Thanks for the post, I missed that story. I've been off my bicycle most of the season as it needs some refurbishment now and I've been too lazy to get it done. However, I have been walking regularly in the evenings. I generally don't walk that way, but I was up in that area a few weeks ago, around the same time frame. It at first surprised me that the fools accosted him on the overpass itself, it being rather openly public. But then, it's dark, and the safety cage makes it a natural choke point. It seems obvious that the three were lying in wait for a target to come along.

Now that UND's back for the regular session, the foot traffic ought to make this spot too public now to try the same trick. It's more likely too that either GFPD or the campus PD may make some beat patrol sweeps there.

If you want to be very safety consious, avoid places like caged overpasses and walkway tunnels, as these can restrict your options for escape and evasion.

It would be a good idea take up your self-defense options too. It is different for everyone, sprays, stun-guns, martial arts for defense, and for the most able, willing and responsible citizens, yes even handguns (if you're the honest sort who can handle and accept that serious responsibility).

I believe in the premise that a well-armed conscientious public is the best defense against crimes upon ones person. If criminals know or believe you are armed and will fight back, they will likely try to find someone less risky. Law enforcement does all they can, but in most circumstances, they are a force reactive to crime, not preventative. That's just the way it is.

Stay safe out there. Thanks, JP, for the great blog. As a fellow GF area cyclist, I salute you!

Anonymous said...

I know a guy that was riding his bike home from the bar (about 10 years ago)and was pushed off the bike by a group of kids (around 15 yrs old) and they tried to mug him. Once he stood up (he's about 6'4") they changed their minds and ran for it. I feel safe in Grand Forks, but stuff like this happens. I would recomend that if someone does not feel safe when riding or walking at night to carry some mace. Just make sure you point it in the right direction. That stuff is nasty.

Andrew has the right idea about staying safe.

Thanks for the blog JP. Rest and get well.